Pages

segunda-feira, 7 de fevereiro de 2011

O Futuro da Humanidade

This book was Augusto Cury's first novel and it touched me deeply. One of the main subjects it talks about is the lack of respect and sensibility psychiatrists have in relation to their patients. One of the main things that made me open my mind as I went reading this book is how each and every human being has something to offer the world, something of value, a history behind what he seems to be outwardly. Even the scum of the city like beggars, mentally disaled people, bums on the street, etc. have feelings, dreams, thoughts and something to give the world. Nowadays we label and rate people not by what they are but by what they have, by what they posses. As a private English teacher lately I have come in contact with people from a very high social class and those have become my friends and the people with who I have been hanging out lately. Not that this is bad, but because of this I have come to somewhat forget that there is more than just what I see in my day to day. There actually exists people who die of hunger, people who are dispised and mistreated because of a mental disease, people who suffer in more ways that I could ever imagine possible. Once out with a friend of mine a beggar came up to us and asked for some spare change. My friend gave the little beggar girl some coins and then told me a phrase I will never forget (I was complaining how it was impossible to stay at the beach without having beggars coming to bug you for some money or to buy something from them). What my friend told me was: "It's good though that the beggars come up to us because if it wasn't for that we would never even remember they exist - their presence reminds us that we owe society a bit more than just working and partying, it reminds us that life is a bit more than just what we go through on our day-to-day. And so this book was a mind opener. Made me think a bit - or more, made me remember of things that used to be a constant thought in my mind but that lately have just slipped away due to the change of lifestyle I have had these past months. I am glad with this change in my lifestyle but I don't want that this change of lifestyle changes my way of thought as well - at least not to the point that I forget some of the most important subjects in life. That we may always remind ourselves of how much we have, and how much we have to give as well.
And with that said, I leave you with a book review in Portuguese, just for a change:


O Futuro da Humanidade fala sobre a trajetória de Marco Polo, um jovem estudante de medicina que ao entrar na faculdade cheio de sonhos e expectativas, fica chocado ao encontrar, em sua primeira aula de anatomia, a triste cena de corpos sem identificação, estendidos sobre o mármore branco. 
O Jovem calouro de medicina não consegue aceitar a frieza com que os professores se referem aos corpos, dizendo que ali a identidade não importa, que aqueles corpos não têm nome, são mendigos encontrados mortos na rua sem identidade. Revoltado com a situação, Marco Pólo sai à procura de informações sobre esses personagens aparentemente sem passado, e nessa jornada encontra o excêntrico Falcão, um mendigo que conhece a fundo a mente humana. Apesar da difícil situação em que vive, com seus sonhos frustrados, futuro desfeito e esperanças perdidas, Falcão recupera a sua alegria inata ao conviver com o jovem sonhador. 
Surge uma amizade entre os dois personagens, a identidade de um dos corpos mutilados nas aulas de anatomia é revelada por Falcão como um ilustre cientista médico que num acidente havia perdido toda a família e a partir daí tinha deixado sua carreira e se tornado um mendigo que terminou morrendo no anonimato. A revelação cai com uma bomba na faculdade onde o atual professor só então percebe a semelhança dos traços do corpo inerte com o antigo fundador daquela universidade. 
Anos depois, Marco Pólo já recém formado em Psiquiatria, estimulado pelo amigo enfrenta uma grande batalha contra professores e médicos de renome internacional, tentando mudar a abordagem clássica da psiquiatria e os paradigmas da medicina. Ele desafia profissionais de renome para provar que os pacientes com problemas psiquiátricos merecem mais atenção, respeito e dedicação e menos remédios. 
Ele utiliza a força do diálogo e da psicologia, e acaba causando uma verdadeira revolução nas mentes e nos corações das pessoas com quem convive. Esse livro representa a luta contra as injustiças e a força de um jovem corajoso, dotado de uma imensa paixão pela vida e pelas pessoas. O Futuro da Humanidade nos leva a uma fascinante viagem pelo mundo da psicologia. Sua linguagem é clara, seus conceitos apresentados de forma simples, nos fazem refletir sobre o rumo que a sociedade está tomando.

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário