Pages

sábado, 5 de maio de 2012

Feliz Por Nada - Marta Medeiros

Lately I have been thinking a lot on happiness. Like, a LOT! Until about three weeks ago I noticed how I was always happy. Always - and for no good reason. Happy just because I chose to be happy. Then by a series of reasons I started taking a very strong medicine which one of its symptoms is slight depression, feelings of sadness, irritability, frustration and on it goes. It triggers something in the body's nervous system which turns on the "sad mode" button making any little drop of water seem like an ocean. Just before I started taking this medicine I had read this fantastic book "Feliz Por Nada"  and totally adored it. The topic of happiness is a long, polemic and multifaceted - a topic no one will ever be able to put a finger on. What Medeiros speaks in this book is how we always have to have a reason in life to be happy: either we got a promotion, are going on vacations, have found a new love... and on the list goes. But if someone is happy the first question we ask them is "really, why?" 
Since taking this medicine I discovered that just like happiness we also usually aren't sad "for nothing". Something has to happen to make us enter that state of sadness - so all of a sudden waking up sad for no reason and feeling lost and frustrated for the slightest things day after day...well, it takes a toll on you. At first I thought it would go away, that I would get used to it, that my body would adapt. I was wrong. And so as I was driving in my car I decided that if I couldn't be glad for nothing (like I used to be in the past) I would then find a lot of little somethings to make me happy. As much as I wanted to follow Medeiro's counsel and just be glad for nothing that wasn't an option in this moment of my life and so being I would make all the "nothings" into "somethings" and be glad for all of them. Here are a few of the things I decided I would be glad for: being able to be the first one to wake up in my house and hear the birds cheep outside my window, be able to work at home (something many people DREAM of doing but never get the chance), have one of my students open up to me and tell me their innermost secrets and then ending it all with "I don't know what it would be like not having someone to talk about what I am feeling - you are the best teacher!", or seeing that your student has just come back from the market and bought your favorite goodie just to make your life a little bit sweeter, having one of my kid students jump on my lap and recite all his colors in English with the same satisfaction as if he had given me the answer of the hardest algebra question in the book, be able to adapt, change, reorganize and move my schedule around to suit my needs, have your sister cook and serve you some delicious pasta at the end of a famished day, seeing your brother's joy in his eyes as he buys his first car, the pleasure of sitting down with your family and just killing time away... the list could just go on and on...but at the end of it all one thing is easy to see: with all these little somethings it is a lot harder to be "sad for nothing". I guess I will start looking for a few more "somethings" ... 


Here is Marta Medeiro's famous "Feliz Por Nada" text - it is certainly worth a good read (it is almost just as fantastic as she is...I can't help but be her TOTAL fan!!! :D ) 

Geralmente, quando uma pessoa exclama Estou tão feliz!, é porque engatou um novo amor, conseguiu uma promoção, ganhou uma bolsa de estudos, perdeu os quilos que precisava ou algo do tipo. Há sempre um porquê. Eu costumo torcer para que essa felicidade dure um bom tempo, mas sei que as novidades envelhecem e que não é seguro se sentir feliz apenas por atingimento de metas. Muito melhor é ser feliz por nada.
Digamos: feliz porque maio recém começou e temos longos oito meses para fazer de 2010 um ano memorável. Feliz por estar com as dívidas pagas. Feliz porque alguém o elogiou. Feliz porque existe uma perspectiva de viagem daqui a alguns meses. Feliz porque você não magoou ninguém hoje. Feliz porque daqui a pouco será hora de dormir e não há lugar no mundo mais acolhedor do que sua cama.
Esquece. Mesmo sendo motivos prosaicos, isso ainda é ser feliz por muito.
Feliz por nada, nada mesmo?
Talvez passe pela total despreocupação com essa busca. Essa tal de felicidade inferniza. “Faça isso, faça aquilo”. A troco? Quem garante que todos chegam lá pelo mesmo caminho?
Particularmente, gosto de quem tem compromisso com a alegria, que procura relativizar as chatices diárias e se concentrar no que importa pra valer, e assim alivia o seu cotidiano e não atormenta o dos outros. Mas não estando alegre, é possível ser feliz também. Não estando “realizado”, também. Estando triste, felicíssimo igual. Porque felicidade é calma. Consciência. É ter talento para aturar o inevitável, é tirar algum proveito do imprevisto, é ficar debochadamente assombrado consigo próprio: como é que eu me meti nessa, como é que foi acontecer comigo?
Pois é, são os efeitos colaterais de se estar vivo.
Benditos os que conseguem se deixar em paz. Os que não se cobram por não terem cumprido suas resoluções, que não se culpam por terem falhado, não se torturam por terem sido contraditórios, não se punem por não terem sido perfeitos. Apenas fazem o melhor que podem.
Se é para ser mestre em alguma coisa, então que sejamos mestres em nos libertar da patrulha do pensamento. De querer se adequar à sociedade e ao mesmo tempo ser livre. Adequação e liberdade simultaneamente? É uma senhora ambição. Demanda a energia de uma usina. Para que se consumir tanto?
A vida não é um questionário de Proust. Você não precisa ter que responder ao mundo quais são suas qualidades, sua cor preferida, seu prato favorito, que bicho seria. Que mania de se autoconhecer. Chega de se autoconhecer. Você é o que é, um imperfeito bem-intencionado e que muda de opinião sem a menor culpa.
Ser feliz por nada talvez seja isso.


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário